For any business that operates a fleet – either for delivery or transportation – a commercial auto insurance policy is necessary, maybe even critical. What happens if one of your drivers gets into a collision? – Your business could actually bear the brunt of the costs if you – the driver – is held liable. With an insurance policy however, your business will be covered. In some instances, having a commercial auto insurance policy could save your business. However, some policies can be expensive, which can put small and medium sized businesses in the predicament of trying to justify the cost. Here are five ways for businesses to save on commercial auto insurance.
- Pay in full for the entire year. Sometimes a commercial auto insurance company will give you a discount if you pay for the entire policy in advance. Having to deal with monthly payments adds more infrastructure costs to the insurance company, so by paying in full, you are actually saving the company a lot of time and money. You could actually get up to a 15% discount by choosing this payment method. Also, you may want to set up automatic payments, so that you don’t have to deal with late payments.
- Sign up for a higher deductible. Having a higher deductible simply means that you’ll be paying more money out of pocket in the event of a vehicle collision. However, your insurance policy may be dramatically more affordable by going this route. Yet, you want to think about making this decision beforehand, because if you go too low, it may start to contradict with the reason why you purchased commercial auto insurance in the first place. For instance, if you run a fleet of trucks that have a higher record of causing accidents, you may want to lower your deductible by only a little bit.
- Make sure that your drivers go through extensive training and safety courses. Whether you are looking for cheap car insurance in CA or NY, it is important to note that your rate will be calculated according to the risk. If your drivers only have minimal training when it comes to safety, you may be paying more for a policy. However, if you require that your drivers go through a safe driving program, you can effectively reduce your risk and get a more affordable policy.
- Have your vehicles inspected. Another way to lower your risk is to make sure your vehicles are safe. Having monthly vehicle inspections will ensure that your fleet is safe to be on the road. For instance, you want to make sure that all your axles are in good shape and you want to make sure that the tires are full of air and the rubber isn’t fraying. All of these things will contribute to a safer fleet and less expensive policy.
- Insure all your vehicles with one company. If you have numerous vehicles in your fleet, you want to make sure that you cover all your vehicles with one company – under one plan. By securing and covering your entire fleet, you can save money and time.