Hiring new employees takes smart strategizing. Typically, your best source of new hires will be with new college grads. Not only are they talented, qualified and educated, but also they understand the tough nature of the economy and might be more willing to take an entry-level position – just to get their foot in the door of the industry they are most interested in. For recruiters and employers, there are a wealth of places you can go and there are a number of ways to hire new employees, but, like anything, there is an efficient way to hire new workers and an inefficient way. Here are 5 tips for recruiting new college grads.
- Post on job boards. There are many online job boards where you can post your notice about a new position. Many of these job boards are free or require a minimal monthly payment, which depends on the size and needs of your business. Just make sure to list some of the job requirements, salary and what you would like to see from applicants. Maybe you don’t want a dry email with a resume and a cover letter, but something a little more creative – be sure to state all of that in your notice.
- Job fairs. If you are looking to fill a position at your business, you might want to find out when the next job fair season is. Job fairs are a great way to bring your business’ message directly to college campuses. In addition, it is a great way to get a wide network of possible candidates and you get to spend more time with people who are actually interested in what your business does. For instance, perhaps you are a hospital administrator looking for candidates studying for their masters in nursing informatics- you could ask if they are interested in interning first or if they are looking for a paid position.
- Tap into social networks. Your business’s social networks are an excellent place to look for recruiting recent college grads. If you have an established business, all you have to do is send a message out to your friends or followers with a new position available – all you have to do is wait for the torrent of replies. If you are an established business with a small social network presence, you can always browse other people’s page and send them a private message.
- Referrals. Why not hold a contest? This can be a great way to make recruiting new college grads fun – almost like a competition. You make the first prize a position at your company. Another way to incentivize referrals is to give prizes to people who refer talented recent college grads to your business for a position that you might have available.
- Make a new page on your website. Creating a career page on your website is a great way to get people to fill out applications and inquire about new positions. New college grads are already looking on different company websites to see if they have positions available, so all you have to do is create a new tab and see who drops you a line.